Cockroaches date back to fossil records of 350 million years ago. They are found in virtually any environment on earth, which is a testament to their adaptability. Their adaptability, coupled with their high reproductive potential, is why cockroaches are such a common pest and difficult pest to control.
There are several species of cockroaches found in the United States. These include American, German, Oriental, Brownbanded, and Asian Roaches. Because German cockroaches account for the vast majority of the cockroach infestations encountered in our homes and businesses in the Seattle area, our information will focus on them. If information is required on other roach species, it can be easily provided by our professional roach exterminators.
Signs Of A Cockroach Infestation
Cockroaches are more than just nuisances and are linked to various health issues, including allergies, asthma, and intestinal diseases. To avoid any adverse reactions, be on the lookout for the following signs:
- Droppings & Feces – Less than 1 mm in length and similar to coffee grounds, cockroach droppings or feces are a telltale sign of an infestation.
- Smear Marks – Along with droppings, roaches leave behind dark brown smear marks. Irregular in shape, they are typically found on walls and where they are most active.
- Unusual, Strong Odor – Cockroaches produce an unpleasant, almost pungent odor from the pheromones in their droppings. This musty smell attracts other cockroaches leading to larger infestation and worsening the smell.
- Roach Skin Shedding – As they reach adulthood, roaches go through several lifecycle stages. With those stages, they shed and molt their skin anywhere from 5-8 times. If you have cockroaches, you will likely see their skins of different sizes (depending on their lifecycle stage) throughout your home.
- Eggs – Cockroach capsules, also called oothecae, are full of eggs. They vary in look depending on the cockroach species. German roaches carry their egg capsules around until they are just about to hatch. At which point, 30 nymphs will be released.
- Live Cockroaches – An obvious sign of an infestation is if you see a roach in your home. Typically, you’ll see them at night after turning on a light, but if seen during the day time, that means the infestation has gotten severe. Cockroaches like to remain hidden during the day, but if overcrowding occurs, they will come out. Dead cockroaches are also a sure sign!
- Property Damage – Cockroaches love to eat. They will eat just about anything from food packaging to leather materials to book bindings and leave behind little chew marks.
If you see any of the signs of a roach problem, call Willard’s Pest Control roach exterminator technicians immediately. Our cockroach extermination services will help you get the problem under control.
What Do German Cockroaches Look Like
Different species of cockroaches have different identifying characteristics. German cockroaches specifically have the following defining physical traits:
- Size – 1/2″ to 5/8″ inches in length
- Color – Tan to light brown
- Wings – Yes, but they do not fly.
- Nymphs – Similar in appearance but smaller and without wings.
- Other Characteristics – Two dark parallel lines running from the back of the head to the wings.
If you suspect you have an infestation, call Willard’s Pest Control to discuss roach treatment options with our pest control professionals.
What Causes A Roach Infestation?
While cockroaches are associated with filth such as dirty dishes, garbage, and more, even a clean home may deal with roach issues. There are many reasons you could have an infestation.
- Exposed Food – Cockroaches are scavengers and love all types of food. Not just food left out on the table or in the sink, but open cracker boxes in the pantry or cat food in a bowl. They love all of it.
- Water – Cockroaches only need a drop of water to survive, so any place with water or moisture will be a hot spot for them: leaky pipes, pet water dishes, moisture under sinks, and other places around the house.
- Trash – While we may think of something as trash, a cockroach only sees food. Even your trash cans outside are prone to cockroach infections and can lead to interior infestations even when you have a clean home!
- General Dirt & Grim – Even if you keep a clean house on the surface level, roaches can find crumbs almost anywhere, including the toaster, under the oven, or even under the couch.
- Cracks, Holes, Crevices – Cockroaches are very flexible and easily fit through most holes, cracks, or crevices on walls, floors, or seems.
While we hope you don’t have to deal with the annoyances that come with cockroaches, give our technicians a call if you need information about our roach removal services.
How Much Does Professional Roach Extermination Cost?
Cockroaches are a difficult pest control situation as they are stubborn pests. And every infestation and house is different, making it harder to estimate without seeing your home and the infestation. That being said, the cost of cockroach control services can vary depending on several factors, including:
- House Size – The large the home, the more space for an infestation to spread. Depending on your home’s square footage, more time and resources need to be dedicated to our pest control methods.
- Type Of Roach – Depending on the cockroach species, different methods need to be deployed to control the cockroach infestation. German cockroaches are some of the most resilient species and can require multiple treatments to eradicate them.
- Scope Of Infestation – Is it a relatively new infestation or one that has developed and taken over your home? The larger the infestation is, the more time and resources will need to be put against it.
- Location of Infestation – Cockroaches are drawn to moist, warm areas, typically found in hard-to-reach areas, including under floorboards, behind stoves, in crawlspaces, and more.
If you think you have an infestation, a professional cockroach pest control technician will visit your home to determine the costs. Call us today to get a professional cockroach extermination quote.
Contact Willard’s Pest Control for a pest control inspection and evaluation today 425-820-1980 or 509-962-2044.
About Willard’s Pest Control
Willard’s Pest Control Company was established in 1987 as a one-person family operation. Today, 32 years later, we are a growing family run exterminator company employing 30+ people for our pest control services. We specialize in all types of pest treatment services, including bed bugs, ants, cockroaches, and more.
We believe in providing safe, honest work to the Greater Puget Sound and Kittitas County communities and are actively involved in the Washington State Pest Management Association. Through this association, we work to promote professionalism and safety within the extermination industry.
Our service area includes Auburn, Federal Way, Kent, Renton, Tacoma, Woodinville, Seattle, Bellevue, Sammamish, Kirkland, Redmond, Issaquah, and more!