The ability of rodents to adapt themselves to almost every environment has made them one of the most successful mammals. We continually fight them to protect ourselves, our food, and our property. Mice and rats are commensal rodents (meaning to share one’s table) and establish themselves in any area where humans live and work.
Signs Of Rodent Infestation
Not sure if what you’re seeing is a sign of rodents? Here are some of the most common signs.
- Chew Marks – Gnaw marks are another common sign of a rodent infestation. As their incisors continue to grow, they need to chew to keep the growth under control. You’re likely to see chew marks in walls, corners, baseboards, food packages, boxes, and more.
- Odors – With active infestations, you may smell a musky odor due to urine. Urine attracts mates and can be quite strong.
- Droppings – A common sign of infestation. Droppings are typically found in cupboards or around walls.
- Tracks – Some rodents, particularly rats, are quite oily. They tend to leave grease streaks or marks along walls and floorboards.
- Noise – If you’re hearing noises in the walls, especially at night, chances are rodents are running about the house up walls and into the attic.
If you see any of the signs of rodent activity, call Willard’s Pest Control rodent exterminator immediately. Our extermination services will help you get rid of rodents
Why Do You Need Rodent Control?
I might have an infestation, but so what? There are many reasons why homeowner’s should take care of rodent issues immediately.
- House Fires – They love to chew. Rodents will chew through just about anything, including your wiring. Not only can this disrupt the modern home – electricity, internet, etc. – but exposed wires lead to an increased fire risk. Live wires with electricity running through them have a higher risk of leading to house fires.
- Disease – Rodents are carriers of dangerous germs and diseases. Their urine, droppings, and saliva contain germs that cause diseases and viruses, including hantavirus, salmonella, and leptospirosis. They also carry ticks, lice, and fleas that can lead to other health issues.
- Structural Damages – Not only do they chew wires, but they also chew through wood, bricks, sheetrock, and other housing materials. The chewing can compromise the integrity of your home and also create entry points for other pests.
- Food Contamination – Rodents LOVE food. With a fantastic sense of smell, they can quickly and easily locate sources of food. Gnawing through food boxes and bags, your food quickly becomes contaminated and inedible.
If you suspect you have a rodent infestation, call Willard’s Pest Control to discuss our exterminators’ treatment options.
Types Of Rodents
There are over 70 different species of mice and rats across North America, but we will be concentrating on the most common 4 in the Seattle area – deer mice, house mice, roof rats, and Norway rats.
The two most common types of mice in the Seattle area are deer mice and house mice. Some of their main characteristics include:
- Color – Various colors, including white, brown, or grey.
- Size – The common house mouse can range in size from 2 – 4 inches.
- Head – Large floppy ears, triangular snouts, and long whiskers.
- Tails – Long, thin, hair tails.
- Habits – Typically nocturnal animals, they stay close to their nests.
- Habitat – Due to their small size, you can find mice almost anywhere in the home. They also like to store food in their nest or burrow.
- Behavior – Very curious and love to investigate anything new.
The two most common types of rats in the Seattle area are Norway rats and roof rats. Some of their main characteristics include:
- Color – Various colors, including white, gray, brown, or black.
- Size – Larger than mice, rats are medium to large in size.
- Head – A blunt snout.
- Tails – Hairless, scaly, and long.
- Habits – Nocturnal animals that spend most of their time at night foraging for food.
- Habitat – Prefer to burrow under buildings, plants, and fences.
- Behavior – Cautious and live in fear. Typically, rodents won’t explore like mice.
About Willard’s Pest Control
Willard’s Pest Control Company was established in 1987 as a one-person family operation. Today, 32 years later, we are a growing family run exterminator company employing 30+ people for our pest control services. We specialize in all types of pest treatment services, including bed bugs, ants, cockroaches, and more.
We believe in providing safe, honest work to the Seattle community people and are actively involved in the Washington State Pest Management Association. Through this association, we work to promote professionalism and safety within the extermination industry.
Our service area includes Auburn, Federal Way, Kent, Renton, Tacoma, Woodinville, Seattle, Bellevue, Sammamish, Kirkland, Redmond & Issaquah areas.